The History of Shaw Piano
Shaw Piano was an Erie, Pennsylvania based establishment from 1890 until 1901. Congressman Matthew Griswold was founder and president of Shaw Piano, and his two sons, M. Griswold Jr. and Marvin Griswold were vice-president and treasurer respectively. Matthew Griswold Sr. was elected twice to Congress, and he also founded Griswold Manufacturing, maker of cast iron home products and other kitchen items.
Shaw Piano started out at 1124 Peach Street and no more than two years later was moved to a four-story brick factory building on West 12th and Raspberry Street. The original Shaw Piano company was forced into bankruptcy in 1901 by creditors and sold to Chas. M. Stieff. Shortly thereafter, production of Shaw pianos was moved to the Stieff factory in Baltimore, Maryland. [1,2]
More About Shaw Pianos
The Shaw Piano company sold affordable pianos that were considered to have a good quality of production. Shaw Piano serial numbers run from 1895 to 1915, and Stieff serial numbers end around 1930. There were very few Shaw pianos produced compared to other piano brands.
Restore with Lindeblad
Lindeblad is happy to help restore any piano. If you have a Shaw piano that is in need of some tuning, complete rebuilding, or minor refurbishing please contact us today!
 Pierce, W. Robert. Pierce Piano Atlas: Anniversary Edition, 2017 Our 70th Year. Albuquerque: Ashley, 2017. Print.